25 August 2008

Getting ready to go!

Hey everyone!
So it is the night before my latest adventure begins--The U.S. Peace Corps. (PC)
I have been asked frequently if I am nervous or excited or other typical emotions, but let it be said that I am 2 things--curious and curious. This trip will be a long time--26 months or so--and it will be one that I am sure will change me in good ways as well as allow me to help others where help is truly needed. Yeah, it will sure be a long time until I get to see all the homies again, but I do hope that you stay safe, out of trouble, and find the time to be successful in your dreams.

I have spent nearly all day packing and repacking--trying to make sure I have not forgotten anything. The PC gave me a suggested list of stuff to bring and said that we have an 80 lbs baggage limit. I really don't see how I could possibly pack all that stuff and still be under 80lbs....especially with books. >.<>.< My letter also informs me that sending things in padded envelopes is highly recommended, as boxes tend to be opened and taxed more frequently.

3. Internet
Yeah, there will be internet on Dominica (and I am sure St Lucia), but it certainly won't be the nice high speed that I have been spoiled with. It is time to go back to good-ol-reliable.....dial-up. Now I won't have consist access right away. Lots will depend on my training/volunteer schedule and where I will be physically. Don't expect to see me on myspace--I will log in rarely, if that. Sadly, there is too much flash and other graphics that will greatly slow my net-browsing down. That is partly why I created this blog here.....low bandwidth friendly. ^_^ I have also made a new email address for all the family and friends, friendsofshawn @ gmail . com Please don't send me any large file attachments--duh dial-up. And please be patient with my ability to reply. I don't know how busy I will be or how reliable my connections will be. My best method to talk to all of you will be through my blogs......and honestly, I probably won't be sending out too many individual/tailored emails. Oh yeah, I want to make sure that my address book is completely updated--so when you get a chance, please send me (to my new gmail email) your current address/phone/preferred email/and birthday. Yeah--the usual contact stuff. ^_^

In closing everyone, don't feel worried about me. Yeah, crime does happen--at times more that we'd like to admit, but our locations are chosen with safety as a major factor before we are placed on assignment. Also, the Eastern Caribbean has a strong medical system, even boasting many U.S. based medical schools. So if I get sick or injured, I will be well taken care of. Storms will be a common occurrence, depending on the time of year--but the people I will be living with have been surviving there for hundreds of years and I am sure they will teach me the tricks of how to survive with them and prosper.

Well, I really need to get off the computer, finish up, and get to bed. I'm getting up early and have a long day ahead of me.

Ciao tutti, Take care everyone and wish me luck. ^_^
~your wannabe Jedi
~Shawn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you probably didn't get a chance to see my reply on your last myspace blog.. I'll say it here.

Good luck! Have fun with this chapter of your life. =)