14 September 2009

Change. It happens everywhere.

14 Sept 2009, somewhere around 1:30pm

Avocados (also known here as zabuca or pear) are in full swing. It has been a very tasty past couple of weeks and the guacamole is wonderful. Still haven't gotten too many into guacamole in my village. My host dad refers to it as pickney tootoo...pickney is dialect for kids, so I am sure you can guess the tootoo part. Still too much of any good thing isn't good for you and it is a comical reminder everytime the avocados come raining from the trees and I gobble them up after missing them for so long...and a couple hours later remember why it isn't good to eat too much avocado. Still, it is too yummy to pass up. ^_^ What a wonderful food avocado is.



The yellow face has tasty avocado...the blue faces have none. ^_^

The political situation in SVG is rather interesting for the outsider right about now. They are in the final leg of an attempt for a constitutional referendum. The government has spent the past 6 or so years pulling in the opinions and other inputs from all walks of Vincentians--here and abroad. The government parties were at one time together on this venture, but for a myriad of reasons have since taken different stances. The government (majority party) has been pushing a YES vote and the opposition (minority party) has been pushing a NO vote. There are many Vincentians here that believe neither party should be pushing any sort of YES or NO vote and should only be engaging in educating the people on the new constitution's contents and empowering them to place their own individual votes that remain unswayed by any particular political influence.

I have heard and seen a great deal of political tribalism during my first year here, but this seems to be taking things to a whole new level. If I was to ever pursue political science as a PhD field of study, I think I would return here for a dissertation as I have never seen such levels of political tribalism before and also seen the public and government so close together and readily accessible--a given considering SVG is a small nation.

I will refrain from discussing the bits and pieces of the constitution or my own personal thoughts on it. However, I certainly raised an eyebrow at the words of the Prime Minister in this week's newspapers. He is an incredibly smart and strategically savy individual who does a great deal of planning in much of what he says and does, which is why I will only guess at his selection of published material.
As published in all of this week's major newspapers, the final paragraphy of his "The Dynamic of Constitutional Reform":
PERVERSE TO VOTE "NO"
It is a perversity based o petty politics or a debilitating, personal vanity to vote "NO" in the "referendum election". A "NO" vote has no credible intellectual basis or national interest consideration on which to ground it. A "NO" vote would make our nation the laughing stock of the region and diaspora. The young people and generations unborn would damn us if we are ever so foolish as to vote "NO".


Interesting way to choice to motivate the public Honorable Prime Minister...


As I try to keep up with the barrage of news in the media back home, I wonder why our country is in the process of devouring itself on this Health Care reform. It seems as if our nation is acting very much along the political tribalism lines I see here on SVG. The whole heath care reform that President Obama's administration has been pushing, or many of the addressed aspects of it, should have not been any massive surprise to anyone. At the very least we should have become rather acquainted with his view and ideological goals for this reform during his campaign run for Presidential office. He won the Presidency by a rather healty margin, which should give credence to his plans for the office term. With respect to the other major contenders for the presidency--Senator McCain and Secretary of State Clinton, they both acknowledged the need for this reform and I honestly feel that if Clinton was voted into office that she would have been pursuing much of the same path as President Obama on this issue.

Health Care reform is something that we truly need in our country. I won't say what is currently in the policy cauldron, bubbling away, is a perfect and ideal solution but it is certainly a step in the right direction. As with any significant issue in our nation's political climate, I strongly suggest people to do more individual investigation on these details and form your own opinion. Look into the health care systems of other nations, especially those with strong democratic governments that have a somewhat/greater socialized health care systems in place that is well supported by their public. Continue listening to pundits and political groups if you wish, but seek your own opinions and listen with an open mind to the on-going debates. Our debate should not be at all focused on if we reform or not, but rather on how we do it.



Enough of my ranting....more on what's up with me.

Went to a wedding this past Saturday. One of the volunteers here just finished up his Close of Service after fulfilling his 26 months this past Thursday followed that by marrying his Vincentian finace! How very cool. I was asked to be a groomsman, so I was all gussied up in a black suit and tie--of course it was Caribbean hot, ug. The wedding started a bit late...nearly an hour, probably on time after including for Caribbean time flow. The whole ceremony was great, but there was just one part that struck me as a bit odd. There came a moment when the pastor was having them agree to their respective duties as husband and wife. The wife was asked to submit to her husband, obey him, and recognize him as superior and the head of the household. The husband was asked to respect and love his wife. There was a bit more to both, but they each held the general outlook that was very clearly spoken to dominance and control of the husband.

I found this interesting given the steps forward to bring men and women closer together in terms of fundamental gender equality. I was certainly not expecting this and from what I understand--one of our female volunteers in attendance let her jaw drop after hearing such things. Of course we had our jokes about it later on, but it does give credence and shed light on how many things can/are interpreted here in the social and family structure.

For those wondering about the vocal dilemma--yes, I'm still hoarse. Currently taking some decongestants and that seems to be helping a little bit, but I'm far from being considered at a normal operative level. As for expected full recovery timelines, there are not any. Just go at it one day at a time.

On a personal note, I was talking with another volunteer the other night and we found that we are both experiencing similar situations. It is a strange concept and I'm not sure what to do about it. There seems to be this cyclic sensation of where I'd rather be and what I'd rather be doing. When I am at home--most notably when I'm on the computer/internet--I find my mind drifting to things back home. What I would be doing if I was there right now or how family & friends are doing. Of course email, chat, and various other social connectivity options help keep in touch, but it doesn't stop the 'what-if' questions from coming and life back home certainly hasn't stopped or slowed just because I joined the Peace Corps. There are lots of things that play through the mind, but the overall sensation is one of wanting to be home.

However, the flipside of that situation is when I am not at home. Whether I am just sitting on the block with guys listening to them rant about the current situations here, helping farm bananas, teach computers, or try to help where I can...it makes me glad to be here. It is when I am out and about in my community that helps me keep myself anchored here. To say things are difficult to get done here is an understatement, but I like interacting with the people in my village.

The other volunteer I was talking to had expressed a rather similar experience and it just seems so strange--as if split between two worlds and desiring to be a part of both, but only when engaging in activities that involve one world or the other. It isn't that I'm fighting to get home or entrenching myself to stay here. I'm happy and comfortable here so don't misconstrue these thoughts as a form of homesickness. Just an observation in what's on the mind.



The only thing here right now that is rather unsettling is what I am 'supposed' to be doing. Most of the volunteers here work in the schools and with some secondary programs outside of the schools. There are also a couple that are attached to community groups and that seems to be keeping them rather busy. My groups are keeping me rather busy too...but something seems to be back-firing with them. When I work with one group, I seem to be experiencing some pressure from that organization's "parent group" to back off from what I do with that group. I think the "parent group" of this community organization would like nothing better than to have me disappear from the community efforts--a sense of turfism if you will.

The other group I'm working to support is extremely new and as a community umbrella group it is dependent on participation from other village groups to participate for support. There are a few key people that have expressed interest in supporting the group and I'm very thankful to be able to work alongside them. Yet the majority of village groups that should be participating to fill out the umbrella group simply not there. I've been the length and breadth of this village. I've talked to people here and spent a great deal of time listening--in shops, the street, and on porches. I've sat back and watched others--how they interact; where they go; and I feel as if I've gotten a decent hold on the village realities. When I communicate with them, there is a sense of interest and desire to see certain things happen to improve the quality of life in the village. So I go about learning what it takes to make those things happen and present findings to the umbrella group. Unfortunately, there has been less and less involvement at the umbrella group meetings and I seem to have been left hanging at the end of a stick.

All in all, it isn't bad to deal with and yet I find the missing component to the equation is the motivation to act on what a person says. I have seen mathematical problems and equations that make heads spin and look as if they were written in ancient languages. They seemed impossible, but there are indeed solutions if one knows how to interpret the symbols and approach the equation. The dilemma of how to motivate a person, group, village, or society is an equation that seems more daunting than the previous math problem. There are methods to decode the social symbols and ways to approach social mobility--but how... Ug. It is enough to cause a headache at this point. Going to lie down now and get up later to fix a few computers.



Stay safe and happy
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

No comments: