04 October 2008

Good stuff--Star Wars and Peanut Butter and Obama ^_^

Hey readers,
For those that know me--they know I am a total Star Wars geek. I must admit, that I am much more spoiled here than I ever thought I would be in the Peace Corps. While I don't know if I will be able to afford tv services, my host family has 'basic cable' which includes not only CNN, but Cartoon Network as well. Last night was the start of the new Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon. Not too bad. I don't particularly like the new kid feel--I'd rather have some new films for episodes 7,8, and 9 done in cartoon format. Yet, I understand that the cartoons will nurture a whole new generation of Star Wars geeks (yeah! ^_^) and if I had to judge the new show on the basis of a kids cartoon--it was rather decent. No complaints overall.

The other night I made dinner for everyone here at the home stay (becoming a normal thing). Paige--my host niece? The 10 yr old--has expressed interest in helping in the kitchen, so I've made her my little apprentice....no not padawan, lol. We experimented and I came up with a 'homemade' peanut sauce that was really yummy when tossed with pasta and soy chicken and onions. If you feel like trying it-go with peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar (we used white vinegar), garlic and ginger (we used fresh grated and sauteed it a bit), and water to thin it out. Combine and stir---delicious! ^_^

Got my 1st piece of snail mail today....a letter from Amy. It was awesome receiving something tangible, despite the ease and use of email. It only took 2 weeks to arrive. That's better than the 3 weeks we were told to expect. Thanks Amy! ^_^

Today my host dad and I got into it about vegetarian diets. It was more funny that anything else. I think he enjoyed giving me what people back home would know as 'Brownie logic'--almost an arguement for arguement's sake. No worries, he was smiling almost the whole time. Being a part-time farmer with livestock, he eats them from time to time. But what I found funny about it--he doesn't kill them himself. Both he and my host mom need someone to do the job and butcher it up a bit. I suppose that's what happens when you raise some animal and get attached. Lessons of live I suppose.

ggrrr......why is it that Governor Palin make me so grumpy? If compentency was measured like a few tank--she's running on fumes. It is all to obvious that she was chosen to try and claim executive experience (um...what about her all too real corruption issues only a few months in the gov. chair already). Oh yeah....she's a woman. All too many women are swinging her direction for the empowerment it supposedly brings. I am all for equal rights and seeing a woman in the oval office one day--but she is definetly not the one to do it. If anyone thought it was rough under President Bush--just let her open her mouth just a bit longer than her cue cards primed her for and you will see just how scary a future with her leadership could become.

B-Rock the Vote!



keeping it local. ^_^ stay well.
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

No comments: