12 January 2009

Things not to forget--sunscreen and patience.

Hey wonderful readers out there...

Don't mind me, I'm on overtired...been up all night at my community library working on the computers here. They wanted me to reformat them and 'pretty' them up on the software, but I totally underestimated 2 things--the SLOW dsl internet and Dell's silly issues with providing the proper drivers. Yeah, the whopping 1.1mb cable internet has been nothing less than awesome at my house, but the dsl takes more time than when someones says they're coming just now (island humor).
--lesson in patience.

A couple of good 'ol homies back home asked me if I was on a 2-yr vacation....I do work a bit...see:

Friday was my ping pong day in town. I met with reps from the National Parks Authority (NPA) and talked about some legislation that is coming up to create marine and terrestrial protected areas. Very cool; even better that they'd like my input on some of the documents. ^_^ Jumped over to the Solid Waste Management Unit (SMWU). They do the garbage and sewer work here, but they spearhead a very limited environmental education work in the schools. I learned their green outreach is actually a collaboration of many government departments. Great idea, as long as the politics keeps to a minimum. That's a usual killer of many things here. Bounced over to the Education Project Management Unit to arrange (again) getting the internet connected at our local primary school. The computers and 95% of the wiring is done. If I had the wire and connectors, I'd do it myself no prob. Headed to the Community Development Office. All the regional officers usually come into town on Fridays--strangely, I didn't see anyone I knew while I was there. Confirmed our Monday (today) meeting with their supervisor, who was the only one in office.

After a quick lunch, I hit up Projections Promotions (PP) to do a bit of research on the old steel pan group that used to play here in Spring. PP originally helped fund and structure the group and I learned quite a bit. Traveled to the Social Investment Fund (SIF) office to drop off some requested documents. One such document was a library operation/maintenance plan that was due from our local library project before I even got here. I was supposed to work on it with members of the library team--but I got the honor of doing it myself. lol...with my typical flair to fill up paper, I hit 17 pages and then nobody wanted to review it--too big. ^_^

Later in that afternoon, I met with my boss (Mr. Cool) and chatted for a bit. He asked me and a couple others here to contact our fellow PCVs on St Kitts. Apparently, they are working on some sort of plastic recycling project there--I haven't gotten any further details on that yet and there might be a similar project opportunity here with glass bottle recycling. Last meeting of the day--supposed to meet a guy by the name of Boomie, who is the president of the national pan movement. I was hoping to pick his brain a bit and learn about resource locations, but he forgot about our meeting. oh well...long day

------

Saturday, I took 4 of the boys in the village to the beach. This time however, we had a bit of a twist. I told them if they wanted to come with me, we had to pick up garbage from the side of the street all the way down to the beach. Of course, they complained and bossed each other around--but we still managed to collect around 8 plastic grocery bags full. Sadly, that barely denting the massive amount of litter.

Street pick-up + a couple hours at the beach + forgetting the sunscreen = lobster head and pain. >.< Ended up lying down for a few hours...learned that razor shaving the head with sunburn is an interesting level of ouch.
--lesson, don't forget the sunscreen--even if we don't like the stuff PC is supplying.

A couple of the kids came over for some help with long division in the evening. I nearly lost it when one of them kept staring at me and saying all the wrong things. Now, simply being wrong is understandable and that wouldn't make me upset. But when I point at a number and ask him what it is; he tells me something completely different; and then he looks in a random direction--over and over and over... well you get the idea. He knows how to do this stuff, sometimes. It's like a lightswitch for him. Anyways....
--lesson....more patience.

-------

Sunday was supposed to be farming a bit with my landlord, Mr. Charles. But due to some rain that didn't happen. The usual Sunday lunch with the host family and caught the end of a football competition before starting on these computers.

---------

Today...
The guy to hook up the school internet didn't come...really makes me want to do it myself...mur. The community development meeting with the volunteers and officers didn't take place--nobody showed except me and I don't count cause I was working at the meeting location. Good news though, some electrical inspectors came--so hopefully we'll be getting current restored in my lil training area. Nice.

So, for those that say I'm on vacation? Perhaps--but there is a bit of work to be done inbetween the waterfalls. ^_^ Gotta try and finish these computers and get ready for tutoring. It's math today, 3-6. And then a well-earned nap.

stay happy and well.
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

No comments: