12 May 2009

Digital Photography & Internet course ideas....

Alright, so I've been teaching basic computer classes here in my village. They are small classes, only 4 people at the most per class--1 per computer. I looked around at a few instructional sites I found online for computer classes and ended up creating my own set of 'study sheets' & exam for the class by merging many of the examples and adding my own flavor.

I've wanted to teach classes at the next level up with subjects like office software, internet skills, and digital photography--but I don't always have the time or the computers are not always available during those times. Still, I'd like to start creating additional study sheet and learning materials for those types of courses. I teach directly from those sheets--so if a student was late or missed a lesson, they would be able to make up any materials on their own. I hope, I would able to put together the learning material for intermediate level work. Then self-motivated people would be able to pick up the study sheets and work at their own pace.

Office learning material is easy enough to find. Heck, so many things are available through sites like Microsoft's Office website, Alison.com, and similar sites that I shouldn't have to worry about any of that coursework.

However, I'd really like to teach a class on intro to digital photography & one on mid-level internet skills. I only know these topics based on personal experience, but even then I most likely know a bit more than most people here in my village. There are not many digital cameras and those in use are most point & shoot with no regard for light, position, or other aspects. Most internet users here don't really know how to modify search information to target what they want to find or use the internet beyond social sites. Hi5 is the BIG thing here and no I do not have a profile on it.

So I was hoping to use this blog here as a chance to solicit some feedback from my wonderful readers. If you have any ideas, advice, or other things to contribute--drop some comments below or send me an email (address is on the sidebar to the right). I'm listing below some topic points. If you think I should add or remove any further topics--just say so. If you know a bit about a particular topic or where I can find some great info to help make a study sheet--add some feedback.
Thanks! ^_^

Here are a few topics I was thinking of covering in the Internet course:
  • How the internet works--hardware & software overview
  • What is a network--compare local, wireless, and personal networks
  • General internet usage--compare major topics--social, business, educational, etc.
  • Search Engines--web, image, refining results, etc.
  • Email
  • News
  • Chat & Social Networking
  • Shopping & Banking
  • How to use the internet as a tool for learning & personal growth
  • How to use the internet as a business tool.


Here are a few topics I was thinking of covering in a digital photography course:
  • Intro to the digital camera (point & shoots)--how does it work, types of cameras, handling & basic care
  • Mega-pixels & resolution--what does that really mean to the user
  • Memory Cards--compare types, storage amount & it direct relation with mega-pixels
  • Zoom--digital vs. optical and how they affect the image
  • Discuss a few concepts: shutter-speed, aperture, using a flash, focusing, ISO
  • Things to think about--shooting at night, shooting at day, fluorescent light, water reflection (polarize),
  • How to transfer pictures from a digital camera to a computer
  • General image file types & compression--jpg, tiff, raw
  • Very basic intro to image editing software (software to be used, yet to be decided)--cropping, resize, retouch, red-eye, color settings
  • Things to consider when buying a digital camera & perform comparisons with current camera models on the internet


well, that pretty much exhausted my idea list for now. Of course, I'll still need to fill in the details for each on the study sheets--but hopefully you'll drop your thoughts first. ^_^ Thanks again.

Stay happy and well
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

No comments: