04 June 2009

Davy Jones come ah tek he ah-way

Ok, so I've never heard anybody here actually say the name 'Davy Jones'. And no matter how long I've been here, I still get fun, random thoughts of all things pirate-like. ^_^ For those who don't know who Davy Jones is, legends label him as a sort of devil/god of the seas who claimed the lives of drowned sailors--where they came to rest at his 'locker' on the bottom of the sea. More recently, Disney portrayed him as an undead care-taker of soles aboard the Flying Dutchman.



But why worry about 'ol Davy right now? Well, this week I've taken off the bandanna to pay a bit of respect to a guy named Murphy. Honestly, he was one of the village drunks--as I rarely saw him sober. He was also one of the obnoxious, yet funny people here I have had the pleasure of meeting. He was the only fella who would dance to any sort of music; he'd dance like everybody should--as if nobody was looking. He was a free spirit of sorts and liked simple & silly things. One of his trademarks was wearing sunglasses without the shaded lens to parties. He even gave me a pair, silver frames--no lens, and I admit that I still have them & have worn them to a few parties before. Of course, I got quite a few good laughs when people saw the white guy looking like Murphy--now I'll be the only one wearing them like that.

That's right--the only one. Murphy died this past Sunday, drowned down at Cumberland Bay next to my village. I wasn't there and heard about it the next day. From what I understand, he was drunk as usual and went for a sea bath--perhaps a swim.



I really wonder why drunk people like to swim. Moreover, I wonder why those who might be nearby (I don't know if there were any at that time.) would let a drunk person into the water. Murphy makes the second person that has drown at the bay in the 9 months I've been here; both drownings were alcohol related.



Either way, I'll just remember the crazy dancing, no lens-sunglasses guy and honor the memory. And just another reminder why I don't touch the strong rum.


---------------------------------------------------

On another slightly disappointing note, I was supposed to do a small workshop with the local tourism group last night. We were supposed to start at 6pm and have a regular meeting with my session afterwards. I was there minutes to 6 and got the place set-up. The president was the first to show around 6:20 and a couple others from the group walked by wondering if there was a meeting around 6:45 after I had locked the community center back up.

Seems consensus from a few was they forgot--although it was talked about by most within the past 2 weeks and the session was their request. Normally meetings that don't take place don't bother me so much anymore...I'm kinda numb to it these days. However, I spent a decent amount of time putting the session together for them and took an extra trip to town just to make them tons of hand-out copies since they like those sorts of things. Whatever....



One of these days...


Stay safe and happy,
ciao tutti,
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

1 comment:

Adventure Melaney! said...

Yep, meetings that don't happen... just another joy of being a PCV!