11 July 2009

Medevac

12 July 2009 1am local time

The time has come. Peace Corps is officially sending me to Panama for the throat surgery. I'm not sure entirely what it shall entail. I'll be leaving in a few hours for the airport--hoping to Puerto Rico for a few hours of layover and then bounced to Panama. Given the arrival time, I believe that I'll just be checking into my designated hotel and staying there the evening.



The next day, I'll meet with the Panama PCMO and Country Director for the formalities and get appointments set with doctors there. Then pending on those recommendations, I'll be given an operation date. Few more days of recovery and making sure all parts in in working order and I'll be on my way back to SVG. Shouldn't be more than 2 weeks--which is good, cause I have stuff to do! I'm not sure how my internet connection options will be while I'm there...but I'm bringing my laptop just in case. I'll send updates as I get them if possible.

During my downtime in Panama, I hope to be hitting the LSAT prep books hard! I haven't been spending nearly as much time with them as I'd want. Actually I'm guilty of not even opening them in over a week. Ug. I did send out a request to get an approval from the local University of the West Indies to take my LSAT exam here...but no dice as yet. If I don't hear anything back by the time I return from Panama, I'll probably have to start making arrangement to get back home for it.



---------------------------------------------------------

Earlier this week, we had our Carnival. I'll put up a post about that later on...but now I have to make sure I'm all packed to go and get a couple hour nap. It's late here, but I can't ever seem to fall asleep early.

For those who do not want to wait for me to post pics....here are some links to my photo albums:

Soca Monarch--a night of Soca music performers competing to be the #1 artist.

Mardi Gras Parade--so many cool costumes! I gotta get one for next year. ^_^

Jouvert (say it Joo-vay) with me all red, pics from other's cameras. (I still need to collect one more camera that has lots of good shots!

I'm crossing my fingers with our the fledgling Spring Village Action Council. We recently finished doing 85 surveys of community members to gather input and endorsement for series of development activities we hope to do in the near future. We had our general meeting tonight and I reviewed the results for those surveys--general stats and comments. Now I've put the ball in the groups's hands and have given them the 2 weeks that I'm away to sift through the comments and ideas to work out exactly which items they will decide to pursue. Then when I get back, I'll be showing them how to do a feasibility study and get the red tape moving along. The slow road is being walked one step at a time.

Alright....I'm off. Wish me luck.

alright...it's bad math humor.

Stay safe and happy
ciao tutti
~your local wannbe jedi
~Shawn

1 comment:

Karen's Planet said...

Much healthy luck Shawn. Safe and soon return! Karen