12 July 2009

Vincy Mas--Fire Fete & Soca Monarch

12 July 2009 about 5:45 am Vincy time

Last post I gave a intro of the what's what that I've learned about Carnival so far.
About half of the stuff I did, I went with a local crew of guys from my village. I pass a rum and general foods shop--Black Struggler's Bar on my way home on a regular basis. There I've kinda been 'adopted' by the guys who hang out there: Clive, Boston, Moto, Alfa, Franky, Shany, and several more. It was they who first told me to make sure I got my ticket to Fire Fete.

Fire Fete & Soca Monarch--a comparison
Both events, Fire Fete and Soca Monarch were held in the large stadium area of Victoria Park. Both events had live soca music performers. The big differences: Fire Fete had lots of people, but nearly the massive crowds of Soca Monarch. This allowed us to dance and move about much easier. The stage shows at Fire Fete were not as dramatic as Soca Monarch, yet then again Soca Monarch was to compete to determine who would be the reigning champ until next year with all the prestige and winnings the go along with it.

Fire Fete was the same night as Panorama and I really wanted to go to that (same ticket got into both). However, they guys I was with didn't really want to leave until later--which put us arriving into town too later for that show. Oh well--next year. With Fire Fete, we all crammed into a van and did something akin to the pub crawls back home, but could have been called a village crawl. We stopped a few places to get 'warmed-up' for the festivities. In town, vendors lined the streets selling drinks, food, and other stuff--like my friend Caroline who did face painting.

Soca Monarch
Scott, Todd, Marco, (all other PCVs) and I got into this event for free. We were originally asked if we would like to participate on stage with Skinny Fabulous (the reigning 2008 Soca Monarch) who happens to live very close to Todd. I was estatic and jumped at the chance. However, things being what they are here...the communication with the guys running the performance plans didn't turn out so well. That means I didn't get to go to the practice sessions and costume sizing that would have been necessary for the stage show. However, the 4 of us still proved out worth by helping out as stage hands. We assembled costumes pieces/props and helped move out dance platforms to be used during Skinny Fabulous' performance. I also got the extra duty of running over to one of the large pavilions to work the lighting. Skinny needed the lights cut for the glow stick part of his shows.

Once the stage crew work was over, I joined the massive crowds--way too many people. I hung with a few of the other volunteers who were up in front, but later bounced over to where they guys from my village where hanging out. I had with me a banner flag that I made and waved about most of time I was in the crowd. Displaying banners is just one of those random things to do as part of the festivities. Soca Monarch is where people show off their banners and try to see who has the biggest and best of them all. Many of the perfomers were good. Skinny ended up winning and thus maintaining his crown as Soca Monarch, however there was a massive negative crowd reaction that wanted the #2 guy--Fireman to take the crown.

Click on this link to jump to my Facebook album with all my pics from that night.
Otherwise, here's a few selections from the night and some videos taken by others of the top performers. Also a chance for you to hear the music that has been playing on repeat for the past couple weeks---over and over and over and over. Well you get the idea.


Ottley, Clive and Moto (left to right)

one side of my banner

the other side--next year if I make one, it's only going to have one side and be in dark paints. Too hard to see the other colors at night and when light hits, then both sides are visible at the same time. Lesson learned.

Victoria Park full-up for Soca Monarch. Yeah I know it's dark and not very clear...but just wanted to try and show the massive crowd swell.

Making glow stick outfits. They were very cool.

Which looked like this guy!

Scott and I getting ready to move dance platforms out. Marco (left) and Todd (right) are turned around.

Between the rain the crowd dancing/stomping...the mud pits formed. My shoes became mud bricks. UG...a total pain to clean. Should have worn my waterboots in hindsight. Lesson learned.

Rosemay (on the left, my hostmom that I stayed with for 7 weeks) and Caroline selling drinks

Caroline painted up Ottley's face for the Soca Monarch fest.

SOCA MONARCH SONGS!!!!!!!
Winner--2008 and now 2009 Soca Monarch--Skinny Fabulous singing Beast Leh Go

I know that song quality isn't the best live....so here's the song normally:


2nd Place--Fireman Hooper singing Flags Invasion

Didn't find a normal version...only the live one. Sorry.


3rd Place--Problem Child singing Mad House
The videos I found at the time of this posts really did't have a decent live quality, so I'm jumping straight to the normal video so you can hear it.



Next post.....Mardi Gras Parade!

Stay safe and well
ciao tutti
~your local wannbe jedi
~Shawn

No comments: