07 September 2008

Let the rain begin. ^_^

Of course, it is the rainy season here....and all week I have carried my awesome smiley face umbrella with me expecting rain. None really, until Saturday when Murphy's law kicked in...the day I didn't bring it. That's ok--a few of us had a good time running for shelter and waiting it out in Kingstown. ^_^ It has rained on and off steadily since then, a nice warm rain.

Village update--
--I was expecting to find old computers in dire need of rehab and I walked in to find 4 new dells, sweet.
--Took some pics I can post.....you'll find them posted below. ^_^


Vans, our wonderful mode of transportation.
--Not sure if I mentioned this already, but all of our vans have these quaint little differences. Most of them have names on the front and body using car decals. Again--I'd post some, but I am going to check for approval first. (this is getting on my nerves, but better safe than sorry)
--They also usually have something wrong with them, typically harmless, but the Friday night my ride home had the headlights cutting in and out. On a dark and very winding mountain road that makes for quite the ride. >.< I'm not taking that one in the dark again.

Schools.............
--I have yet to see them in action firsthand, but I am scheduled to start visiting them this week. Others have already been inside a few and we are learning about the educational system here on St Vincent.
--Based on a British model, the kids here study for 2 major exams. The 1st (CEE) takes them from a primary school into secondary with the exam scores allowing parents to choose which secondary schools they would like their children to attend. The 2nd exam (CXC) is near the end of secondary school and is a major factor in the child's chances to get certain jobs, go on to college, or find a particular trade school. In fact, we learned that their actual diploma is not worth nearly as much as those exam grades.
--The schools education and resource allocation is determined completely by the government.

Cost of living
--Having a few more times to explore the capital, I'm seeing that many things here cost an equivalent to the same items in the U.S. after guesstimating for exchange rates. USD $1.00 = ECD $2.7. KFC offers their 2-piece meal combo for about EC $16......and no I did not eat the chicken. A .5 gallon bottle of juice at the supermarket was around EC $18-19.....so given how much juice I like to drink.....time to get started on that garden. >.<

More adventurous stuff:
--Got to meet some of the other volunteers on the St Vincent. They are cool people and seem excited to have us around. Finally, they are not the newbies. ^_^ They have just finished their 1yr marker.
--Helped my host dad feed his goats and also fed a baby goat from a bottle. Pics have been taken....may post later.
--Have been waking up around 5:30 and starting to get used to it. Bucket baths are becoming normal for me and I really don't mind them.
--Saturday morning/afternoon, hung out with 2 other volunteers and played ball with some kids on the beach. It was fun. Got to see one of the other volunteer's homes--it was awesome and she has a great view! Perhaps mine will be so sweet once I move in....well not as sweet since I've already seen the outside, but I'm looking forward to stepping in. Look for that in late October.
--Spent Saturday evening chillin' and watching another game of dominoes with my host dad. He says perhaps next time I will be ready to jump in--lesson time over.
--Met my first guy who REALLY didn't like my being in the village. Nothing personal to me, but he didn't like the Peace Corps being here. He got very vocal and used some colorful words. I was also a bit wary of the cutlass (machete) he was slapping against his thigh. I left him quickly and now know at least one person to avoid. Later, I learned he is a few cards short of a deck--according to others in the village. Even more reason to take care around him.
--Took tons of pics of my village today during some early morning rain. Sorry, I can't post nearly any of them....but here is a triple treat that turned out really nice!









This last one is an old government installed clothes and bathing station pulling water. Although most people have indoor plumbing, these are still in use by many people.

Holy breadfruit batman! I just saw the time and it is LATE for me. Time to log out and get a couple hours of sleep.....
Until next time, stay happy and well.
ciao tutti,
~your wannabe jedi
~Shawn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome adventure, that only a few of us may ever get to have! Im glad you are one of those people, as I know you are really good at adapting to change! Anyways I want you to be safe and have fun, and oh yea do a little work! lol!

P.S. we got outta the frat house just in time. We now are renting a house!!! i think we have too much room..lol!