16 September 2008

Wow....am I doing this?

Hey readers! ^_^ Thanks for coming back again.
Lots has been happening in a short period of time. In fact, our 2nd week on island seemed to go by fairly quickly. Sadly, I had to wait until now to say anything--well, I can't always get online. >.<

Since the last post.....
I got to intern at a primary school....I worked with the 6th grade teacher and it confirmed for me that there really are needs in literacy and math skills. Today I am supposed to be observing again--but since there is no 5th grade teacher--yeah.... I got to step in. I have no clue what the heck I am doing and I think the kids know it. Ug....I am typing this during the lunch break and really don't want to go back...

Been playing dominoes! I've borrowed the host family's set and brought them to training. After playing a bit with the other trainees--my host dad let me play with him at his local hang out. Those guys are SHARKS! I totally got my butt kicked in. Oh well, practice practice practice.

There is an ocean/rivers clean up this Saturday all over the island--as part of a bigger initiative with the Ocean Conservancy. I hope to take part it. :P I've also found out about chances to help with the sea turtle conservation efforts. Those projects don't start till later in the year--but I am excited for the opportunity. Hunting/Eating sea turtle meat is illegal during most of the year and eggs illegal all year round.....but it happens. In fact, there are several threatened/endangered species on the islands--but people hunt them anyways. Grrr.....

Got to try something called 'doubles' the other day. It is kinda like a chick pea mush served on a type of tortilla bread and usually topped with various sauces--mango, cucumber, hot, and/or tamarind. It was delicious and only EC$3!!!

Had my first real meeting with my assigned community group on Saturday and got to learn some of their needs here in the village. It is still far too early to tell exactly what I'll be doing for sure. However, literacy numeracy, small business skills, financial accounting, and basic computer skills seem to be topping the list. They are also interested in restarting a local drama club....really excited to have me help with it....but I don't know the first thing about it. mur.

Sunday, I got my first sunburn while learning some plumbing skills. I got to help cut, fit, and run steel pipes to help get someone their first indoor plumbing. It was a good feeling.

It gets really dark here quick--pitch dark by 7ish. For some reason I get really tired early and have been getting up around 5am. I don't think I would have ever gotten up so early if I didn't have too...

I got a group of school kids out to play frisbee and run races last night. They loved it. Now, they are asking me all the time if I will be going out to the park area again. Many of them know my name. For those who know me....you know how awkward this is for me. Ug....one day at a time.

I want to upload some more pics, but I have to get back before the lunch break ends....so glad I am not assigned to a school. I will try to get more pics up next time.

ciao tutti
~Your wannabe jedi
~Shawn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that the kids like you and that they wanna play with you!

Keep it up! It sounds like you're doing great. ^_^

Ruth/MOM said...

You have always been great with kids and animals, but never really trusted yourself. I should know, I raised you. Just keep learning all you can & being you, and you will be terrific. Just remember it is a small island and they must learn nicely not to poach. Teach new ways to farm, eat, nicely and in their own time though. You'll do good. I'm very proud of you. LOVE YOU LOTS1

Anonymous said...

I can totally see the look on your face when the kids asked you to go play with them! That sounds like a really good personal growth opportunity for you. ;)