26 September 2008

PHONE!!!

Hey out there in Never Never Land.
I got a cell phone today! Of course, if you want the phone #--you'll have to email me and ask for it. No way am I going to post that on the www. lol.
Here's a pic of it and if you click....you'll get a link to the specs.

It is a basic run of the mill phone, but that is GREAT! Shiny things attract unwanted attention....so it is good to have the ugliest, most unwanted looking phones we can get. Plus Nokias like these are very durable and have great battery life. ^_^ It does have one really cool feature that I've never had before.....a led flashlight on the top of it. It's very blinding bright!


Last night I made fake-beef chunks fried rice for my host family. It turned out really well and everyone enjoyed it. LOL.....sometimes they joke that I'm turning them vegetarian. It doesn't help that I am slowly cooking here more and more.

Went to an environmental group meeting for my local area the other night. It was good to meet green-minded folk, but the meeting lacked structure. It seems over the next year we will be transforming a local beach into a tourist attractive area with protective areas for the river that feeds the sea. I'll probably be able to help out on that--lots of good, sweaty work. ^_^ Many of the group members were happy to have me attend and poured their ideas at me. It will take a bit of time, but I think I need to let them know that I'm Peace Corps and not a miracle worker. I help empower, instruct, and assist--not wave my fairy wand and make their dreams come true.

YEAH!!! I'm totally looking forward to the presidential debate tonight. I suppose I'm glad to have access to CNN out here in the Caribbean. I certainly wasn't counting on having it.

Speaking of the Caribbean.....did you know that several parts of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy was filmed here at St. Vincent? There are 3 film sites I believe here around the island--a bit of an attraction. I haven't visited them yet....but I will! Arg!

I'll be meeting with my country director next week. I hope to get some solid info on what I can post in terms of pictures online. Perhaps I'll be able to put up lots more. ^_^
And if you're interested in not only the babble I post, but are interested in hearing from other Peace Corps volunteers I serve with....I will be posting links to their blogs on the side of the page.

Stay happy and well.
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nokias rock!! Are you gonna put your little thunder god key chain on it to keep it safe?? ^_^