07 November 2008

The Attic--our election night party ^_^

Today is another good day in the fate of the world.
I am very proud to join so many people, not just in the U.S. but around the world, to celebrate in Senator Barack Obama's victory on 4 November.

The U.S. embassy out of Barbados invited Peace Corps volunteers through all the islands to go to designated venues for election night parties. "The Attic" was the chosen local here on St Vincent. It is a night club venue here with small jazz bar feel. Honestly, it was nothing like anywhere else on St Vincent I've walked into yet. Not to say that the rest of Kingstown in low key--I haven't been to many places here yet. However, this place looked as if it would have been at home on many Chicago corners.

When I opened the door to the place, I was greeted with blast of air conditioning...something that really took me by surprise given it gets much cooler here at night. The inside was decorated for our event, with nice tableclothes and topware. The embassy provided buttons in support of both candidates and cute little pins with attaching U.S. and SVG flags. There were a few small tvs suspended to the ceiling beams, but the real eye-catcher was the projector and screen that filled a good portion of the performance stage. It was CNN for hours--I was as giddy as a sports fan watching the superbowl or world series.

I was extremely pleased to find out that our host--the person running The Attic--was a big supporter of our purpose and was gracious to accept the embassy's rental request. He was so excited to watch the election results, he kept the place open until both candidates gave their speeches--which was one of my biggest concerns coming to the event. The embassy offered us free food--all little morsels and fruits/vegetables, but really tasty. The bar was rather pricey, as to be expected in that sort of venue, so I kept my beverages limited.

Many of the volunteers attended this event and it was good to see so many of us coming out together from all over the island. It was great for the embassy to offer us this opportunity (especially when not all of us have tvs-like me-in our homes to watch it there). I will some of us (sadly) left early or had to find unusual arrangements for after the party, because neither the embassy or the Peace Corps helped us to get back home or a hotel for after the venue. Late night in town is a vacant area--ghost town-like--and the only way home are taxis too expensive for us. So I crashed on some tile floor space in an undisclosed location and went on my merry way the next day.

At The Attic, there were more than just volunteers. There was also a representative from the embassy, who was full of stories and information for our questions. There were also many other Vincentians who had received invitations from the embassy. I got to meet and talk with the heads of a local political party. lol....they wanted to get their picture with me. They were dressed in pressed shirts and ties, actually nearly all of the guests were very nicely dressed. The email from our Peace Corps staff told us it was a casual event, so I was in a t-shirt and bandana. Oops! @_@ Oh well, it makes for an interesting picture when he shows it around. But it makes us appear not as professional--I don't like that.

People here follow U.S. politics rather closely, perhaps out of general interest or due to SVG's close ties (socially, economically and otherwise) to the U.S. It is commonplace for you to walk down the streets of Kingstown and the villages and hear people discussing U.S. politics and current events. I hear more U.S. political talk than I do local party political talk. Perhaps that will change, now that the major solitary event is over. Yet, it makes me sit back and consider just how little talk I recall hearing back home over our political state of affairs. Very little indeed either on the streets or in the offices. hum...... Sad that we'd have to go in search of it to get decent political discussions back home.

well, that was our night in a nutshell.
I'm adding the end speeches of the night in case you missed them.
They were really the best speeches I've heard in a long time.

--Senator McCain's speech was exemplary, honorable, and extremely dignified. I really think that if his campaign took the high-road his speech did, then perhaps some of the results would have been more in his favor (altough it doesn't change the reality of his positions). His speech was exactly what will be needed from his party in order to look forward and help unify us and prepare for the struggles we know are awaiting the American people.

--Senator Obama's speech was one of the best I've heard from my adult lifetime. His speech was the setting stone for this historic occassion and the key-point to unify this country. I greatly appreciated his calling out to everyone and his humility in asking for the support of everyone--that he will be a president for everyone. I believe those words. Perhaps he does not personally have all the skills and experiences yet in every subject area for the presidency, but I have the utmost confidence in his overall judgement & rationality as well as his ability to govern closer to the middle & his embrace of all people. His speech was able to well upside of me the same sort of spirit that I belive motivates others to greatness. His words brought tears to people across the world. His voice resounded our future.

--I know that in the past, I have said that I love my country and all the opportunity it offers but that I often disliked my government and the roads they have chosen to travel. I feel that the future before us will be one that is extremely difficult, but I am proud to step forward to support this government. I am proud to be working for the government under the mantle of our new president-elect. Although the Peace Corps is just a fraction of the U.S. Government--we are still representatives of our country and I am proud to be under President-elect Barack Obama's leadership. Let's see what new trails shall be blazed.

Stay happy and well.
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn





No comments: