11 November 2008

Meeting Meetings Meetings

I am seriously going to have to work on organizing all of my notes and filing system. For now, I've been using a notebook the Peace Corps gave us during training to contain all the info I come across during meetings or other functions in my village. Those pages and the extras I tuck into the pages are starting to add up and I find myself attempting to cross check other recorded dates during a meeting and taking too long (well, the Vincentians don't seem to mind).

I'm not really sure about the 'work schedule'--if it could be said that we really have one--of most of my other fellow volunteers. Most everybody else that I am aware of works with the schools or similar institutions during the day and may have an evening activity they lead. My duties seem to be more 2nd shift--going to all sorts of meetings once more people from my area get in from work. This has been leading to some late nights on my part, but I don't mind since I don't have many early morning duties as of yet. That will change....

I've been filling my mornings typically with trips to town and trying to network myself a bit. So far, I've set up shadow time with the SVG Nat'l. Inst. of Technology, a government based organization that facilitates computer literacy courses (the International Driver's License or IDCL) and other advance IT certs (MSCE, MSCA, CCNA, A+, web design, etc.). As soon as I lock down a training facility, I will be teaching the ICDL courses as well and maybe even get a cert myself so I can do advanced work here in Spring (but that can get really costly). I also got to learn where the Lands Department resides--where I can get copies of land surveys and the Physical Planning Department--who carry blueprint info on building structures and requirements. Visited Central Planning at the main government building and am learning the structure of the various ministries and who to contact when I need information or resources. Hopped over to the Ministry of Culture's office and got to meet a research officer, who I hope work with more in the future as I try to revive a few of the cultural CBOs here in Spring Village. Tried to get into the Lions Club and learn more about a recent public speaking event they held--but they were closed. Made contacts at the Center for Enterprise Development (CED), another government organization whose purpose is to train and help promote small businesses here on SVG. Yesterday and today, I got to become more involved with the work of the Community Development Field Officers. So my networking list and how to reach them grows.....because as many of realize that it isn't always what we know, but who we know...

I haven't officially started the tutoring sessions yet. Having a bit of trouble getting the electric current reconnected--between the red tape procedures and the treasurer of the center moved (taking the records with her). Once we get current again, I will not only get the tutoring going, but I can start working closer with the area CBOs. Until then, I might have to try using my place as a meeting location... Not sure if I like the idea, but I haven't seen many alternates yet. I'm being asked more and more frequently by people here when I will start teaching the computer courses and again I'm am waiting the red tape to clear.

Other groups on the table to work with:
--help develop my host group SUDO, a development organization. I hope they will grow to become the keystone of my village CBO framework
--kickstart a 4-H club for leadership growth and youth activities
--form Spring PAC (performing arts club) which would house 3 divisions of interest
--the revived drama group, once renown for its works, but mysteriously went dormant as a group
--the revived steel pan music group, another dormant group but would be open to all musicians
--include a newer public speaking & debate group with possible links to Toastmasters (found out they are here on SVG, but haven't met that group offically yet)

On a more day to day note
I totally failed when trying to juice a guava. I got a bunch of them, mostly rather ripe already, walking back from the beach with a group of kids. I tried to just use my little juicer on them, but made a mess with the pulp and tons of tiny seeds. Ended up with some sorta-decent variety of guava water. Found out this evening when I asked, I was supposed to boil them down with the skins on until the pulp got all mush and just strain it out.

Got some sort of giant foam block for a bed....it slowly makes a large 'dimple' where you are laying. The first few nights were strange, but fine. However, I'm starting to notice lots of lower back pains. Not sure if this is from the foam block or my slouch (which I am trying to be more aware of). No worries, if it persists I will be sure to see my medical officer first thing.

Got to start playing dominoes a bit with the guys near one of the shops. I wasn't very good-trying to play with a partner and not really able to effectively read the board yet. Will probably go back on Thursday when they play again.

Tomorrow night, after my meeting with the local tourism group--I will be venturing out to a playing field with my spotting scope and hopefully a few of the youths and maybe even adults. The moon is nearly full and it should look really nice. I don't have a stand for it and I don't like rigging my camera tripod for it because the kids are too rough. I think I'll grab my cutlass and use the morning time to make a bamboo and rope tripod. ^_^ Go Go Boy Scout Engineering.

Had some tea with my host parents on Sunday evening. We mixed two local bush plants--guinea pepper and shadow vinny--to get a real bold flavor. Very nice. Although I get teased by them every time for not wanting any sweeteners for it.

Before posting this blog, I read in another volunteer's blog about how she feels that the 2 year thing is starting to sink in as a reality. I couldn't agree more. For myself, I wouldn't say it was an uncertainty of why I'm here or a homesickness, more like a reality check. I'm here and things really are different. It is the little things I notice here that remind me where I am. Not just the heat, but long waits for vans that don't pick you up or the interesting times trying to roast my breadfruit for lunch with tiny sticks and the neighbor brings me better sized wood. It is accepting that while I have lived away from my home area before, this will be my first winter without snow (which I actually enjoy). It was thinking that this was a good time in my life to join the Peace Corps and within 3 months of joining, I learn that 2 sets of friends back home are getting married to make it now 3 sets of friends getting married and I'm not sure/doubt I'll be able to attend. My friends are very important to me, so that bothers me. Yet, I feel that the work I will be doing and the reasons why I am here are also important as well. Time to suck it up.

I read a very interesting blog....requires myspace to view it:
Great lil story and analogy with real events; even better if you like Batman

wow....it's late 1:15 here now and WAY past my bedtime.
More to come later I'm sure.

Stay safe and well
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! Rock out with the tea!! Sounds really cool!! ^_^

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I really respect what you're doing there. It's a great program that does a lot of good for people, and your sacrifice of time and personal comfort is commendable. You rock! And don't forget it. :)