04 November 2008

Election Day!!!

Today is the big day!
I hope that anyone reading this will have voted today, at least if you're an American and of age.
The U.S. Embassy on Barbados has rented out spaces on the various islands so that the volunteers can gather in groups to watch the results. Our location is a late bar in Kingstown and I really hope that we will get to stay for all of it. Even if someone is declared the winner, I'd like to see the full results as they come in. Sadly with the U.S. recent day-light savings time--since SVG doesn't use it--we are now 5 hours behind Pacific Time. >.<
The rough part will be figuring out where to sleep tonight or how to get around. It will be REALLY late to try and get any buses and taxis are out of our budgets. There are 2 volunteers that live 45 min walk or so from where we will be, but I don't know how many of us can fit into their apartments... Oh well, sardines we will be.

On a different note, some of the local kids and I had our first rock session with general "garbage" we found lying around. We used some old plastic bucket lids, aluminum cans with rocks, plastic bottles, a wood board, small scrap piece of pvc tube and other goodies to make what most would call noise. Eventually we figured out a beat and maybe with enough practice might make something out of it. ^_^

Met last night the village committee that runs the community center. They were happy to have me working with them and we are seeing eye to eye on several things. However, I think that it will be some time before I can get electricity through the building where I need it--mainly the study room I am assembling.

My new home is coming along nicely. I do need to get some air fresheners for the bathroom. There seems to be a funky smell coming from somewhere--maybe the water. There are outside toilet pits with venting tubs....maybe it is coming from there. I haven't pin-pointed it yet, but the air fresheners should neutralize it. I hope. @_@
I did offer to put up a few pics of my place so you'll find some below. good times.

Did an another cooking experiment last night with success. ^_^
I used the local dasheen leaves, which I only seen used to make a local dish called callalou, and cooked it down with eggplant, canned tomato, garlic, onion, and green pepper. Add some spices as it cooks down and finish it by using the excess water to cook linguine and presto! One pot tasty goodness. ^_^ I made too much, lol, so I'll be eating my creation for a couple of days. Well, looks like I'm back on lots of carbs....there goes the 10lbs I lost already. hahaha

Stay well and be safe.
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

my place:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're new place looks great!!

Glad to hear that you got to jam out with the local kids all STOMP style! Rock on!!

Have fun watching the election!!