08 November 2008

Internet hurrah!

Its official! I got my Karib Cable internet installed today for my whopping 1.1Mb service at EC$90.85/month--around 10% of my figured budget. Time to see what it can do. ^_^ Once I lock down a headset for a decent price, another volunteer might be able to let me use an extra set--skype is just an install away.

For those cable dorks out there....I got a free modem with the install, which I hope means that I get to keep it and bring it with me. It is an Arris cm550a. What I don't like is that it is only 110v and not 220v compatible out of box. That means I have to use my 300w transformer I brought with. I was hoping that I would only have to use it on some occassions, since it will probably use up more electricity that I actually need--which is expensive. Oh well...that's life for goodies I suppose.
Downstream
Freq/Power: 99.000 MHz -7 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 34 dB
Modulation: QAM64
Upstream
Freq/Power: 28.000 MHz 52 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QPSK
The tech said they are allowed to have an up threshold at 60, but I don't put much confidence it that. Aw...they are only running Docsis 1.x Supposedly they will be starting digital service here soon....and I can only imagine the headaches they are about to experience.

stay safe and well.
ciao tutti
~your local wannabe jedi
~Shawn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woOt.

+2 communication skills for you!

Anonymous said...

Sweet!